Tuesday, February 1, 2011

what does the ice in the air bring?

This poem.  It's about the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.

I was walking outside
    Heavy above, the frozen pavement below,
           little pebbles scattered where
  i walked
The Ramadan drums rambling in the distance
  Suddenly                The Birdsong exploded on
All sides-  I looked up and
   The crumbling air solidified
And was overwhelmed by music...
  "I wonder if one star will shine
          far brighter than the rest..?"
  And a star began to shine, far brighter than the rest
    a new lightvisible in the day- a
  second and third sun- one
   with His arms outstretched.
  All around, concrete poured, dissolved, in the earth
                   fed to the
         fed to the green grass all around...
      Millions of women, billions of women,
  I could see them all- all my sisters-
           My sisters in the world, each.
 holding solid silk scarves- each raised
       to the new sun
    And Laughing-        my sisters        each
   took two hands to the silk

              and tore.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Birdsong and concrete were both excellent word-image choices.

    ReplyDelete