Tuesday, October 26, 2010

loneliness

I read Dover Beach by Matthew Arnold, today (I seriously love my major).  I want to put the last stanza from that poem on my blog.

"Ah, love, let us be true
To one another! for the world, which seems
To lie before us like a land of dreams,
So various, so beautiful, so new,
Hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light,
Nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain;
And we are here as on a darkling plain
Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
Where ignorant armies clash by night."

(The reference to the "ignorant armies clashing by night" is a reference to a Greek war from over 2000 years ago.  In the war, it was dark and the invaders got confused by the darkness, and in their confusion, they killed each other.  At least that's what the footnote for the poem tells me.)

Stephan Balleux
I feel like any interpretation of this poem on my part would serve to trivialize it.  But don't you feel the loneliness coming from the poem?  Don't you just feel the aching for companionship and unity?

No comments:

Post a Comment